Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Mother Courage and her children



Before the December holidays I found this old framed photograph on the street in front of a charity shop. It had been thrown away with other ancient familiy photos, old newspapers, books and magazines that were too damaged by damp to still read them. They were all stacked in a dirty box. I took it home with me and since then my thoughts have been going back to it frequently.
Wondering...... about the women on the photo. Their lives. It fascinates and intrigues me.
It shows an unknown mother and her 10 daughters.
I suppose I am allowed to show it here and since nobody has any need for it I consider it mine.


I have named this photo after the play " Mother Courage and her children" by german playwright and poet Bertolt Brecht. He wrote poems and sketches for the anti-nazi movement. In 1940 the Nazi invasion drove him to Denmark into exile. He was born in 1898 and died 1956. It is possible that the mother had been born around the same time. May be also a little bit later.

Here's to mother courage and her children.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails