Thursday, July 19, 2012

If You Like, You Can Repair My Pantihose



When asked, it is often difficult to say for people why they collect certain things. They just have to have them. I collect a wide variety of things. And I can say, the common denominator amongst most of them is that they come from a time or an era that has become extinct now and that they were used in activities that people do not do anymore. This links directky to the fact that I am absolutely fascinated by handmade things and traditional crafting techniques. When art was daily bread!


Stranded Darning, specially prepared for your fine silk hose! Found in East London in a second hand shop.
I remember hearing my grandmother say, that she was taught as a child by her mother how to mend a pantihose or silk stockings..
That must have been around 1920.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails