Saturday, February 7, 2009

The beauty of one hundred years ago


In the year 1900 the world exposition was held in Paris in France.




I started doing a little bit of research on this subject lately. I was motivated by a rare find that I had made. Six 109 years old so called tobacco-cards found their way into my life. 



" Cigarettes Melia " produced a series of tobacco-cards at the occasion of the world exposition in Paris in 1900, that were included in the paquets that were sold at the exposition.



These cards were graced by beautiful women.



The Melia cigarettes collection had 1800 different topics.


This is the back of the cards -and they are truly from 1900. To look at the faces of these women, considered very beautiful at their time gives me a strange feeling. They look so lively, so close - amd yet their were probably 20 years old a hundred and nine years back. At a time when my grandmother was not even born.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails